FACTS ABOUT THE KING PHILIP TEACHERS
Did you know…..
Class Lesson Preparation
- Nearly 100% of all professional staff works beyond the contractual hours preparing lesson plans, which amounts to 25,165 hours work per year for the entire staff. These hours inlcue evenings, weekends, holidays, and school breaks.
- 88% of all professional staff regularly initiates parent contact and respond to parent inquiries BEFORE and/or AFTER SCHOOL HOURS. This includes an estimated 5,267 phone calls, notes, and emails each school year.
Additional Office Hours
- 81% of all professional staff stays beyond the contractual school day more than once a week. This is for students seeking extra help, counseling, and making up tests, quizzes, and homework.
- 77% of all professional staff corrects essays, tests, quizzes, and student projects AFTER school hours. On average, this is an additional 7 hours a week per staff member.
Student Letters of Recommendation
- 77% of all professional staff writes letters of recommendation on behalf of students
- 73% of all professional staff meets with parents BEFORE and/or AFTER school hours. An estimated 2,014 face-to-face parent-teacher conferences are typically held in any given year OUTSIDE of the school day. This does not include meetings conducted during a teacher preparation period.
- A professional devotes 5 ¼ hours beyond the school day each week for this endeavor, amounting to more than 200 ADDITIONAL hours per year per professional equaling 5 weeks of work.
Chaperoning & Supervising Student Functions
- 62% of all professional staff voluntarily chaperones or supervises a wide assortment of student activities and other functions on their personal time.
Supporting Students by Attending Extra-Curricular Events (without pay)
- 60% of all professional staff voluntarily attends student activities as spectators on their own time to demonstrate their support for their students. On average, this is 715 appearances per school year.
Voluntary Service on Committees (without pay)
- 50% of all professional staff voluntarily (without pay) serves on a multitude of committees that are essential to the functioning of the school district.
Pro Bono Advising, Coaching, or Supervising Student Organizations
- 48% of all professional staff has acted as unpaid advisor to numerous student organizations over the years to expand extra-curricular opportunities for students.
Early Arrivals for Teacher Availability to Students
- 47% of all professional staff voluntarily arrives to school early in the morning (in addition to staying late in the afternoon) to consult with students.
Purchase of Educational Materials and Supplies from Personal Funds
- On average, professional staff report voluntarily spending over $350 per year of their own money each per school year on an assortment of materials and supplies to augment those provided by the school district.